Most would agree they'd rather drive around in a clean, shiny vehicle than one coated with a layer of dirt. When warmer weather comes around, some of us are bound and determined to wash our own vehicles. And to protect the paint and its luster, there are a few things to keep in mind when you get out the bucket and soap.
- Cool body. It's not a good idea to wash a vehicle when the body is hot. If it's been sitting out in the sun or you've been riding around on a sunny day, make sure you cool your vehicle off by either moving it to the shade or wetting it down with cool water. The problem with washing a hot vehicle is that it's going to dry so fast, minerals in the water can form hard-to-remove spots on the paint. And some of those can be really difficult to get out. Best to avoid it.
- Slippery when wet. Make sure you wet your vehicle down thoroughly before you get the washing mitt out. Experts keep a couple of buckets of soapy water on hand, and they use soap especially engineered to remove dirt from a vehicle without stripping off the wax that might be on it.
- The washing mitt. Experts say to use a mitt with hundreds of moisture-absorbing strands on it. Start washing at the top and move down. If you keep dipping the mitt in the buckets frequently, a minimal amount of dirt will stick to it and that will prevent scratching the paint.
- Wheels last. Wait until you've finished washing the body before washing the wheels. Some detailers prefer special wheel-washing tools or brushes.
- Rinse it well. Hose the vehicle off thoroughly to get all the soap off, then dry immediately. Some people swear by a chamois, others like cloth better. Cotton or microfiber towels will do.
The next time you have your vehicle in for maintenance, you might ask your service advisor for recommendations on vehicle washing accessories. They are usually up on the brands that produce the best results. You may not be a detailing pro, but there's no reason your vehicle can't look like you are.
Top Tech Auto Repair Royal Oak
3110 Rochester Rd
Royal Oak, Michigan 48073
More articles from Top Tech Auto Repair Royal Oak
February 25, 2024
Maybe you've been cooped up for a while and are yearning for a change of scenery. Or maybe you need to visit a relative who lives far away. You choose not to fork out the big bucks for airline tickets, so it's time for a road trip. Make sure you're road ready by having your vehicle professiona... More
February 18, 2024
When you get in your vehicle, how does it smell? If it's not so nice, it may be time to have your cabin air filter changed. It's not the same one that filters out the air used in the engine. The cabin air filter screens out dust and other particulates from the outside air so when it enters the c... More
February 11, 2024
One might say the most challenging part of being an automotive service technician at Top Tech Auto Repair Royal Oak is diagnosing a problem before it can be fixed.Cars are made up of a bunch of complex systems. There usually could be a number of reasons for any given symptom. So, it's challenging... More